Monday, April 18, 2011

Internal Compiler Error, create your own!

You'd hope that it would be fairly difficult to make the compiler crash in Visual Studio 2010. Sadly not. Try this one on for size: Update: Looks like they fixed this for Visual Studio 2012!

Thursday, July 08, 2010

XmlDataSource and its wonderfully helpful cache

From the looks of Google I've managed to stumble on a problem feature that's been causing joy for many years already, but it's a new one on me.

From the docs for XmlDataSource.EnableCaching it says the following:
The default value is true.

Which is a little strange for starters given some of its siblings (e.g. SqlDataSource and ObjectDataSource), but OK, fair enough.

It also says:
the data source will cache data until the XML file that it depends on is changed

Which would be fine, only my data source object isn't depending on a file, and I'm setting its Data property manually. Unfortunately, setting Data to what you want doesn't appear to invalidate the cache, and so you end up with what was there previously anyway.

But hang on a minute - the docs for XmlDataSource.Data specifically say:
If caching is enabled and you change the value of Data, the cache is invalidated.

I don't believe you!

Another bit of my life I'm never getting back, finding that little nugget...

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

jQuery Demonstration

After a slight *cough* gap since my last post, I figured I should at least come up with something potentially useful to people this time.

Having just started a new role working on a bespoke ASP.NET application, I thought I'd push the case for introducing jQuery into the codebase to help with any client-side requirements. I was asked to give a presentation it to the dev team to get their views, so I spent today coming up with a self-contained demo, using jQuery itself.

I'm by no means a jQuery expert - I've essentially read half a book on the subject and slideToggle()d a couple of <div>s before - but I came up with the rest of it in less than a day, which probably says at least a little about how easy it is to get to grips with.

Anyway, without further ado... I present my short and sweet jQuery Demonstration. A couple of points to note:
  • You step through the demo by clicking the "jQuery" title at the top of the page;
  • You can click on the first grey markup block at any point to update it to show the current structure of the DOM;
  • When you get to the Gallery part, once the click handler has been attached to load the gallery HTML in the background, do actually click the Gallery header to load it before clicking the main jQuery title to get to the next (and final) step!

Friday, April 27, 2007

Manually creating an HttpRequest for testing

I'm currently writing unit tests for some code that uses the information found in the Headers property of an HttpRequest object. As such, I want to be able to create my own HttpRequest object with the appropriate headers.

This isn't as easy as I'd like it to be, as presumably the intent for the class is that you're handed an instance of it at the appropriate time, rather than putting one together yourself (which is fair enough).

Time to delve into System.Reflection for a bit of hacking:Job done!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

UpdatePanel still performing full postback

Had some fun tracking this one down today, fortunately someone else had already done the hard work in working out how to fix it.

Essentially I was trying out a basic AJAX page in an existing 2.0 web application project. The various additional required sections were added to the web.config and I followed the Introduction to the UpdatePanel control, where a label is updated when you click a button.

Simple. Or so you'd think. No AJAX behaviour for me - it was performing a full postback.

Fortunately I managed to find a post from "Rick" that explained what the culprit was - the <xhtmlConformance mode="Legacy"/> in the web.config. Commenting this out gives the desired behaviour.

I must admit I haven't bothered investigating any further to work out why that works - feel free to let me know.

Found another post about this that explains a bit more from Scott Guthrie.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Selecting random records from a database table

A little nugget I picked up from my colleague Wim today, that was actually his first blog post a few years back.

Need a random sample of data from your database? Try this:


Friday, March 02, 2007

DeflateStream and zlib headers

The DeflateStream class in System.IO.Compression, as the docs state, represents the DEFLATE algorithm as in RFC 1951.

What it doesn't do (out of the box) is support compressed data in zlib format (see RFC 1950). When trying to decompress existing data, the easiest way I've found to get round this is simply to get rid of the 2 byte zlib header and use what's left, so something like the following works nicely if you've already got the data as a byte array in memory:

Array.Copy(zlibBytes, 2, strippedBytes, 0, zlibBytes.Length - 2);

Then just use the strippedBytes with DeflateStream instead.

Out of interest, I also tried stripping off the 4 byte Adler-32 checksum footer, and DeflateStream worked happily with that too.